LIGHTHOUSE BAPTIST CHURCH
Doctrine and Beliefs
- THE SCRIPTURES… Bibliology
We believe the Holy Bible is the written revelation of God, consisting of the 66 Books of the Old and New Testaments. We believe that every word of the Holy Bible in the ORIGINAL documents is inspired by God (God-breathed) and contains no mistakes. It is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. The Scriptures will straighten us out and teach us to do what is right. Therefore, we believe the Holy Bible is the FINAL authority for our lifestyle and our worship.
2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:19-21.
- GOD… Theology
We believe there is ONE, true, living God who is an infinite Spirit and eternally exists in three equal persons… The TRIUNITY – The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. Even though they are equal in each divine attribute, they each execute distinct and harmonious responsibilities in the great work of redemption for all people. Matthew 28:19-20.
- We believe the FATHER is the First Person of the Triunity in ordering and disposing all things according to his will. He is the Absolute and Highest Authority in the Universe. John 5:19-30, 10:25-30, Revelation 1-22.
- We believe the SON (Christology) is the Second Person of the Triunity, the Creator/Sustainer of all creation. He was born miraculously, being conceived of the Holy Spirit and a virgin, Mary. He lived a sinless life, died as our sacrifice, and bodily resurrected from the dead. He is, presently, exalted at the right hand of God, and will personally return to earth to set up His 1000-year reign. Colossians 1:15-20, Matthew 1:18-21, 2 Corinthians 5:21, 1 Corinthians 15:3-8, Matthew 26:64, Revelation 20.
- We believe the HOLY SPIRIT (Pneumatology) is the Third Person of the Triunity. He began a unique ministry of building the Body/Bride/Church of Jesus Christ on the Day of Pentecost after Jesus’ resurrection. He convicts people of sin, calls and regenerates Believers. At the moment of salvation He baptizes Believers into the Body of Christ, seals their souls eternally, indwells them, and empowers every Believer for Holy living. He, also, fills, guides, teaches, and empowers Believers for service to God. Acts 2:1-13, Romans 8:1-37, 2 Corinthians 1:21-22, Ephesians 5:18, John 16:5-15.
- CREATION Genesis 1 – 5, Colossians 1:16-17.
- We believe in the direct CREATION of the Universe by God as set forth in the Genesis account and apart from any process of Evolution. Genesis 1and 2.
- ANTHROPOLOGY: We believe that people were CREATED as sinless beings in the image and likeness of God (not from any previously existing forms of life). But, as did Adam and Eve, all people voluntarily choose to sin because of a sinful nature and fall from their sinless, blessed state. All people are incapable of doing anything acceptable to God. They are under his eternal judgment without any defense or excuse; and are totally unable to eternally save themselves. (TOTALDEPRAVITY) We believe in the creation and existence of angels including Satan and the demons.
- ETERNAL SALVATION OF PEOPLE… Soteriology
- ADMIT that you are a sinner. All people have sinned, fall short of God’s glorious standard, and deserve eternal judgment and punishment. Romans 3:23, 6:23
- BELIEVE that Jesus Christ died on the cross as a substitute for sinful people who must be punished for their sins. But to all, who believe Jesus Christ and accept Him, He gives the right to become the children of God because their sins have been forgiven. The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. John 1:12, Romans 6:23
- CONFESS that Jesus Christ is the only Savior and CALL on Him for the forgiveness of sins and to receive the gift of eternal salvation. For if a person confesses with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and believes in their heart that God raised Him from the dead, they will be saved. For it is by believing in one’s heart that they are made right with God, and it is confessing with the mouth that people are saved. Romans 10:9-10
- This is what God has testified: He has given people eternal life, and this life is in His Son. So whoever has God’s Son has life; whoever does not have His Son does not have life. When a person believes in the Son of God, they can KNOW that they have eternal life.
1 John 5:11-13
- We believe in the “ETERNALSECURITY” of all Believers. It is impossible for Jesus to lose anyone who is born again. He will raise them to eternal life at the last day. John 6: 39; 10:28-30; Romans 8:35-39.
- THE CHURCH… Ecclesiology – Matthew 28:18-20
- We believe in the unity of all New Testament Believers in the Body of Christ, the Church. Also described as the Bride of Christ, this is a unique, spiritual organism made up of all “BORN-AGAIN” Believers.
1 Corinthians 12:12-27, Ephesians 4:1-6
- We believe a Local Church is an organized group of baptized (IMMERSED) Believers associated by a Statement of Faith. Acts 2:41-42.
- We believe the Mission and purpose of the Church is to:
- Worship, fellowship, and glorify God together COLLECTIVELY. Acts 2:42-47, Hebrews 10:24-25
- Make DISCIPLES of Jesus Christ in all nations.
- BAPTIZING them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- Teach and build up Believers in the WORD of God.
- Observe the ORDINANCES (a custom or practice established by God).
- Baptism. Matthew 28:18-20
- The Lord’s Table, Communion. 1 Corinthians 11:17-34.
- LIFESTYLE (Colossians 2:6-4:1)
- We believe that the Church and individual Believers should separate themselves UNTO a lifestyle pleasing to our Heavenly Father as revealed in the Holy Scriptures.
- We believe that the Church and individual Believers should separate themselves FROM a lifestyle displeasing to our Heavenly Father as revealed in the Holy Scriptures.
- We believe we should live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity to give testimony of Jesus Christ through words and actions.
- We believe that the Church and individual Believers should separate themselves from religious false teachings, revealed in the Holy Scriptures as Apostasy
- LAST THINGS… Eschatology.
- We believe that Jesus will come personally in the air to resurrect and take up (RAPTURE) the entire Church to Heaven. This event will happen some time BEFORE His return to earth to establish His 1000-year Kingdom. Therefore, we believe in a Pre-Millennial Rapture and a Pre-Millennial Second Coming.
1 Corinthians 15:35-58; 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11; 2 Thess. 2:1-17, Revelation 20:1-10.
- We believe in the resurrection of ALL BORN people.
- UN-believers go to punishment and an eternal existence in the Lake of Fire, Hell. This is called the Second Death.
- Those who have their names written in the Lamb’s Book of LIFE, because they accepted God’s gift of Salvation, will go on to blessedness and eternal life. Revelation 21:27; 22:14-17